Sunday, February 24, 2013
Octobust - Finished (Again)
Since the original post I have blended the black knobs on his head out so that the transition is less stark, and turned this into a pattern that runs onto his head. The tentacles have received a bit more modulation so that they're not stealing focus, and he got a hint of veins running through the thin skin near his ears.
And now he's finished again.... maybe.
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Octobust - Final
This is the finished Octopus bust from JMD Miniatures. It is sitting on a 1.5" clear acrylic cube instead of a traditional wood or resin plinth. I thought this would help to emphasize the "wet" look and nature of the piece.
I'm going to keep coming back to work on the water effects as it takes a long time to dry between each application. In this picture the top right water droplet is still curing, which is why it has a milky look to it.
Monday, February 18, 2013
Octobust - WIP
I bought this bust ages ago and no longer remember who the manufacturer is -- if anyone out there knows, please mention it in the comments.
I'm very happy with how the skin tones are coming together. I'm going to give him a selective coat of satin when the skin is finished, but only one small section at a time so that I can ensure that the texture works with the shading.
I will also use some Water Effects to put water droplets at the lowest point on each of his tentacles.
He is sitting on a 1.5" clear acrylic cube. I thought that this would be much more interesting for a water themed model like this than any wood or resin would be, and not quite as campy as sticking him onto a chunk of coral.
Monday, February 11, 2013
Marder III M Ausf. -- FINISHED!
The Marder is finally finished! Well, at least until I notice something obvious in the photos that I missed while looking at the model.
I used the Dragon 1/35 Smart Kit, a milled barrel and rounds, brass detailing for the helmets, and made the stowage rolls.
I will probably do a bit more pigmenting on the stowage but I do otherwise consider this complete. I'm very happy with the colour modulation and overall effect, but like any kit there are plenty of things I would have done differently now that it's finished.
I did manage to make the cracked leather seats more visible -- with a helmet and strap on one of them to help draw in the eye -- and added a family portrait to the wall of the fighting compartment.
The radio is fully detailed and includes a headset with tiny, tiny wiring. I don't think I'll ever do that again. Ever.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)