Saturday, April 28, 2012

1:100 Destroyed Sherman

I didn't realize just how much I had missed painting tanks until I was working my way through my second Manhattan, and still painting, about an hour after I'm normally asleep.

I am very happy with how the finished piece came together -- especially as it only represents about four hours of actual working time from start to photos.

The model is from the "Flames of War" line - although I added the tarp and wood. The tufts are from MiniNatur and the flowering tufts were custom made.

I might still go back and add a bit more of the Dark Yellow and Violet pigments (from Secret Weapon, of course!) but I don't want to lose any of the very soft dust effect I managed to achieve.

I will aim to get more photos of this piece taken with a better camera as my little PowerShot ELPH always makes things look flat -- even under the daylight lamps and against a decent background. Alas.

I'm going to allow myself to paint one figurine to paint for every two tanks in progress -- which means I can keep practicing my French style for figurines while not allowing my weathering and tank painting skills to get so rusty (no pun intended).

And now it's time to dig through my bins and find another tank!

CMON voting link

Friday, April 27, 2012

Post Adepticon rumination... and tanks!

I took the Old Japanese Man bust to Adepticon as my first major competition entry. As soon as it went into the cabinet I realized I'd lost. Here I was trying to compete with a bust done in the French style... against the guys that invented it. I've been doing this for eight months and they've been doing it for years. And how many tanks did I take with me? None. Zero. Nada.

Um... oops?

And that's when I realized that I hadn't painted a tank in eight months. EIGHT MONTHS!

I've taught my weathering classes and I've done some videos, but I haven't actually painted a tank in eight months. And so I picked up some "Flames of War" tanks at 1:100 scale and got to work. I also have a 1:35 Dragon kit on the table and several 1:48 simple resin kits on the way.

It's time to get back into the tank business!

I will, of course, continue to work on painting figures in the French style, but I'm a tank guy and it's time I started acting like one.

Day 1: FoW Destroyed Sherman - Base Coat

I will be making this one look long abandoned. Thus the extreme oxidization. Next up are details, pigments, and oils!

I have also done some work on the new plastic Sherman and StuG kits from FoW just to see which detailing techniques will translate all the way down to 1:100 scale. The answer is... not much. But I'll figure it out!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Japanese Bust - Final

I might add a few final highlights - I'm going to sleep on that and decide tomorrow - but this guy is otherwise finally finished. Over the course of the project I changed the colour of the inner kimono five different times. I even added stripes at one point. In the end I came back to the original colour to help tie in with the shadow glazing on his face. There are plenty of things I'd like to improve on but I'm happy with the finished product. For now....